Our membership meetings feature compelling speakers selected for their expertise in various areas of venture capital and economic development. They also offer exceptional opportunities for networking before and after the program.
The Alabama Venture Club’s evening-networking events are complimentary for members and held in conjunction with one or more of our partner organizations.
- To provide a forum for members and others to freely exchange experiences and opinions-promoting a deeper understanding of venture capitalist’s functions, its management, and its role in developing growth-oriented businesses.
- To foster, and support, absolute standards of service and integrity by venture capitalists.
- To promote the art and science of venture capital-educating members, the public and governmental authorities in the advancement, improvement and uses of venture capital.
- To maintain close, cooperative relationships with local and regional Venture Capitalist groups.
- To undertake any other functions that will further advance the value of our organization to its members, the business community and our community as a whole.
If a city’s business climate can be measured by the strength of its venture capital community, no organization has had a stronger impact on Birmingham’s business climate since 1985 than the Alabama Venture Club. AVC has encouraged local entrepreneurial investment and success by:
- Supporting committed entrepreneurs through education-in areas ranging from the benefits of venture capital to business planning and growth management.
- Facilitating information-sharing and relationship-development opportunities among investors, entrepreneurs, and professionals serving those groups.
- Stimulating investment capital for ventures developed in the Birmingham community.
- It’s no secret that small business drives our economy-while new business drive growth and innovation for our future. What’s not as well known is the Alabama Venture Club’s pivotal role in driving our region’s entrepreneurial spirit.
- We play an integral role in Birmingham’s entrepreneurial culture by providing our members (primarily venture capitalists and the professionals who support them) open lines for access to, and exchange of, everything from ideas and information to financial and human capital. An important part of our mission is the encouragement of high standards among venture capitalists, both in service and conduct, and promotion of the art & science of venture capital. Toward that end, we provide a wealth of resources to educate our members—as well as the public and governmental authorities—in the advancement and uses of venture capital.
The Alabama Venture Club’s Annual Meeting is the state’s largest gathering of venture capitalists—as well as their related network of entrepreneurs, professional services firms and others—in Alabama. The event offers an unmatched networking opportunity for individuals and organizations seeking to strengthen their presence among high-growth entrepreneurs, investors, and influencers.
If you’re interested in being an annual meeting sponsor, please contact our administrative offices for more information.
“The Alabama Venture Club’s Jemison Award program recognizes today’s high growth, high value entrepreneurs while honoring the legacy of Mr. Jemison and other venture capital trailblazers.”
James Outland, Past Chairman
Jemison Award Selection Committee
Now in its 33rd year, the Jemison Award is Alabama’s most prestigious honor recognizing high quality, fast-growth companies based in the Birmingham area.
|2021||PackHealth (WINNER)||Nominated by Michael Kassouf, Kassouf & Co.|
|2019||ProctorU (WINNER)||Nominated by Stuart Maxey, Bradley|
|2019||NXTsoft||Nominated by Gene Price, Burr Forman|
|2019||Illumicare||Nominated by Stephen Bennett, Stonehenge Capital|
|2018||Theranest (WINNER)||Nominated by Devon Laney, Innovation Depot|
|2018||ProctorU||Nominated by Benjamin Cobb, Eastside Partners|
|2018||Southern Veterinary Partners||Nominated by Lacey Bacchus, Southern Veterinary Partners|
|2017||Momentum Telecom (WINNER)||Nominated by Stuart Maxey, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings|
|2017||Hospicelink||Nominated by Steve Davis, Stonehenge Growth Capital|
|2017||Shipt||Nominated by Jeff Smith, Harbert Growth Partners|
|2016||Momentum Telecom||Nominated by Stuart Maxey, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings|
|2016||Shipt||Nominated by Zane Tarence, Founders Investment Bank|
|2015||Atlas RFID Solutions, LLC. (WINNER)|
|2015||Free Textbooks||Nominated by Devon Laney, Innovation Depot|
|2015||Momentum Telecom||Nominated by Stuart Maxey, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings|
|2015||Plantation Patterns||Nominated by Duane Donner, Founders Investment Banking|
|2014||Vulcan Value Partners (WINNER)||Nominated by Greg Curran, Maynard Cooper & Gale|
|2014||Enrollment Advisors||Nominated by Paul Pless, New Capital Partners|
|2014||Action Resources||Nominated by Christopher Harmon, Maynard Cooper & Gale|
|2013||Daxko, Inc. (WINNER)||Nominated by James Childs, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings, LLP|
|2013||Action Resources, Inc.||Nominated by Christopher B. Harmon, Maynard, Cooper & Gale, PC|
|2013||Atlas RFID Solutions, LLC.||Pamela B. Fetterolf, Atlas RFID Solutions, LLC|
|2013||Hospicelink||Nominated by James V. Stewart, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings, LLP|
|2013||Iron Tribe Fitness||Nominated by Bob Shufflebarger, Atherotech, Inc.|
|2013||MailSouth, Inc.||Nominated by Greg Curran, Maynard, Cooper & Gale, PC|
|2012||First Partners Bank (WINNER)||Nominated by Christopher P. Couch, Haskell Slaughter, LLC|
|2012||HospiceLink||Nominated by Robert Crutchfield, Harbert Venture Partners, LLC|
|2012||MSpark||Nominated by Greg Curran, Maynard Cooper & Gale, PC|
|2012||TicketBiscuit||Nominated by John Shank, CPA Barfield Murphy Shank & Smith, PC|
|2011||Discovery BioMed, Inc.||Nominated by Dr. Larry Greer and Alan Dean, Greer Capital Advisors|
|2011||MedWorks Holdings, LLC||Nominated by Christopher L. Gillespie, Culotta, Scroggins, Hendricks, & Gillespie, P.C.|
|2011||Preferred Surgical Products||Nominated by Jennifer King and Dr. Larry Greer, Greer Capital Advisors|
|2011||Proxsys, LLC (WINNER)||Nominated by David D. Dowd, III, Burr & Forman, LLP|
|2010||Hoffman Media||Nominated by Eric Hoffman, Hoffman Media|
|2010||Imaging Business Machines||Nominated by Derrel G. Curry, Barfield, Murphy, Shank & Smith, P.C.|
|2010||SucessEHS, Inc. (WINNER)||Nominated by John Shank, Barfield Murphy Shank & Smith, CPA|
|2009||DAXKO||Nominated by James Childs, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings|
|2009||Surgical Care Affiliates (WINNER)||Nominated by Tim Gregg, Maynard, Cooper & Gale, PC|
|2009||MCM Technology, LLC||Nominated by Brian Pitts, ITAC Solutions|
|2009||Imaging Business Machines||Nominated by Derrel G. Curry, Barfield, Murphy, Shank & Smith, P.C.|
|2009||Optimal IMX||Nominated by Robert Crutchfield, Harbert Venture Partners, LLC|
|2009||Electronic Health Systems||Nominated by Gary York, Definicare|
|2008||DAXKO||Nominated by James Childs, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings|
|2008||Surgical Care Affiliates||Nominated by Tim Gregg, Maynard, Cooper & Gale, PC|
|2008||SourceMedical Solutions, Inc. (WINNER)||Nominated by Philip Hodges, Redmont Venture Partners|
|2008||Hygia Health||Nominated by Devon Laney, The Innovation Depot|
|2008||Optimal Readings Group||Nominated by Jeff Harris, Harbert Venture Partners|
|2007||Awarix, Inc.||Nominated by Bill Goodrich, Richgood, Inc.|
|2007||ServisFirst Bank (WINNER)||Nominated by William K. Holbrook, Haskell Slaughter Young & Rediker LLC|
|2007||SourceMedical Solutions, Inc.||Nominated by Philip Hodges, Redmont Venture Partners|
|2007||Zoe’s Kitchen||Nominated by John Lacey, Morgan Stanley|
|2006||AQ2 Technologies||Nominated by Clete Walker, The Prasara Group|
|2006||Awarix, Inc.||Nominated by Emerson Fann, Eastside Partners|
|2006||Community Hospices of America, Inc. (WINNER)||Nominated by Christopher Harman, Maynard Cooper & Gale PC|
|2006||ServisFirst Bank||Nominated by William K. Holbrook, Haskell Slaughter Young & Rediker LLC|
|2005||Community Hospices of America, Inc.||Nominated by Christopher Harman, Maynard Cooper & Gale PC|
|2005||Brasfield Technology LLC||Nominated by Cecil Bostany, Warren, Averett, Kimbrough & Marino, LLC|
|2005||Principal Pharmacy Group, Inc.||Nominated by John Shank, Barfield, Murphy, Shank & Smith, PC|
|2005||MedMined, Inc. (WINNER)||Nominated by Emerson Fann, Eastside Partners & SouthEastern Technology Funds|
|2004||ComFrame Software Corporation||Nominated by Eddie Hill, Entrepreneurial Center|
|2004||Emageon, Inc. (WINNER)||Nominated by Chris Horgen, Southeastern Technology Fund|
|2004||TransMolecular, Inc.||Nominated by Susan Matlock, UAB Office for the Advancement of Developing Industries|
|2004||MedMined, Inc.||Nominated by Joe Bolen, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama|
|2003||BioHorizons Implants Systems, Inc.||Nominated by Robert E. Lee Garner, Haskell, Slaughter, Young & Rediker LLC|
|2003||ComFrame Software Corporation||Nominated by James W. Childs, Jr., Bradley Arant Boult Cummings|
|2003||Emageon, Inc.||Nominated by Curtis James, St. Vincent’s Hospital|
|2003||Momentum Telecom, Inc.||Nominated by Lana K. Hawkins, Hawkins & Associates|
|2003||Trillion Digital Communications, Inc.||Nominated by David D. Dowd, III, Burr & Forman LLP|
|2003||Virginia College LLC (WINNER)||Nominated by Jim E. Tolbert, Virginia College LLC|
|2001||Progressive Systems LLC|
|2000||The Banc Corporation|
|1999||Express Oil Change, LLC|
|1998||GuideStar Health Systems, Inc.|
|1997||PJ America, Inc.|
|1995||Just For Feet, Inc.|
|1993||Simply Fashion Stores, Ltd.|
|1992||CMS Research Corporation|
|1990||Complete Health Services, Inc.|
|1988||Birmingham Steel Corporation|
Mandatory Eligiblity Requirements
- Must demonstrate viable business model, i.e., company size, industry, cash flow, etc.
- Must be based in the seven-county Birmingham region
- Must have at least one third-party investor that is not a company employee
- Outstanding sales growth
- Impressive turnaround situation
- Unique financing completed with a bank or outside investor group
- Company has reached an annual sales level greater than $2 million
- Founded within the last 12 years, or has had a significant change in ownership within last five years
- Major restructuring of the Company’s marketing and/or operations
Who was John S. Jemison, JR?
John S. Jemison, Jr. is still remembered as one of the city’s most outstanding businessmen and leaders. Born in Birmingham in 1908, he graduated from the University of North Carolina in 1931 and began his career as a loan officer with today’s Chase Manhattan of New York. He later moved to Goldman, Sachs & Co., New York, one of the largest underwriters of industrial securities in the U.S.
In 1947, Mr. Jemison returned to Birmingham—where he was a resident partner at Marx & Co., investment bankers, of Birmingham and New York City. In 1955, Mr. Jemison left Marx & Co. to form Jemison Investment Co., Inc. From that point until his death in 1988, he truly earned the title of “deal maker.”
Under Mr. Jemison’s leadership, Jemison Investment became a highly diversified holding company—with interests in lumber products, building materials, steel containers, slurry & dredge pump manufacturing, magazine publishing and real estate.
Mr. Jemison helped countless young entrepreneurs start or buy businesses. His reputation for openness and integrity in all his business dealings inspired absolute trust among those who turned to him for advice and investment expertise. His motto was “work hard, and have fun doing it!” Those fortunate enough to have known Mr. Jemison will tell you he lived his own motto every day.
Mr. Jemison contributed so much to the Birmingham business community—through the growth of businesses, the development of careers, and the creation of jobs and wealth for so many. His contributions to the community are still felt today. The Alabama Venture Club is honored to offer its annual award in his name. John Jemison’s reputation as “deal maker” was firmly established long before the term “venture capital” came into vogue. He was truly Birmingham’s first venture capitalist.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Stay up to date with the latest research and announcements from our team.